Sunday, May 20, 2018

My Five Favorite Alphabet Books

Teaching Kindergarten, I spend a lot of time at the beginning of the year re- familiarizing (or sometimes familiarizing) ABC order with my kiddos. One way I do this is by reading fun ABC read alouds. I've compiled a list of my favorite titles for you below!

1. Feelings to Share from A to Z


I love this one, especially for the beginning of the school year. At this age, children are just beginning to practice expressing  and identifying their feelings. What a great way to teach about emotions while reinforcing ABC order!

2. The Sleepy Little Alphabet 


Kids think this one is hilarious! I like it because it helps kids differentiate between uppercase and lowercase letters. In this story, the lowercase letters are the "kids" and the uppercase letters are the "grown-ups". The lowercase letters do not want to go to bed at bed time so the uppercase "grown ups" get very frustrated!

3. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom



You can't have an ABC book list without this one. A classic!

4.  Z is for Moose



Get ready to have your kiddos laughing out loud! This ABC book is a silly one. Moose is so excited to be featured in the ABC book, he rushes onto pages waaaaay before it's his turn. When it finally is Moose's turn, he finds out that he isn't featured for letter M after all! With the help of a friend, Moose finally finds his place in the ABC book.

5. LMNO Peas 



So many kids have difficulties with this section of the ABC's. I can't tell you how many times I do assessments during the first half of the year where students recite "LMNO" like it is ONE letter! This is a great story that describes different occupations in ABC order. It doesn't hurt that adorable little peas are doing each job! This series has many wonderful installments. Another favorite of mine that helps teach the months of the year is Hap-pea All Year!

Do you have any favorite ABC read alouds? I'd love to find some new titles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© City Teacher Country Teacher. Powered by