Friday, June 24, 2016

Scholastic Warehouse Sale

Happy summer everyone!

With the end of the school year being, of course, a very hectic time, I am so relieved to have some well-deserved time off. And to get back to updating everyone on what I've been up to!

Last month, I met up with some fellow SoCal teachers at a special meet-up (organized by Courtney of Ramona Recommends), which was really an excuse to go crazy at the Scholastic Warehouse Sale! I did not know what to expect, as I have never been to a Scholastic Warehouse Sale, but I fell in love the second I stepped through the doors!

The first room had a special deal where you could fill up a box with as many books as you could fit for $24.99.  I loaded it up with some books for the classroom, as well as some books to give nieces and nephews as gifts.

After filling up my book box, I ventured into the actual warehouse. Holy moly! SO. MANY. BOOKS. At the time of the sale, I wasn't sure what grade level I would be teaching this coming fall (more on that in a future post--stay tuned for some very exciting news!!!). I didn't want to stock up on too many grade-specific texts, so I opted for mostly picture books that would pair well as mentor texts for most grade levels.




Nature/Animals:
Outside Your Window by Nicola Davies
Mama Built a Little Nest by Jennifer Ward
A Beetle is Shy by Dianna Hutts Aston (Seed is Sleepy connection)
Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Life by Lola M. Schaefer
City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems
Presidential Pets by Julia Moberg


Friends/Family:
Squirrel's New Year's Resolution by Pat Miller
Families, Families, Families! by Suzanne Lang and Max Lang
We Shall Overcome: The Story of a Song by Debbie Levy


Fun/Silly:
Happy by Pharrell Williams
The Day the Crayons Came Home by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers
This Book Just Ate My Dog by Richard Byrne
Wumbers by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

I also picked up some fun books that just spoke to me. As a kid, I loved Steven Kellogg books. One of my favorites growing up was Best Friends. I didn't find that particular title at the Scholastic sale, but I did find Snowflakes Fall, which Steven Kellogg illustrated. I feel a little sad for these Cali kids who don't experience the excitement right before and during a snowstorm, so I definitely want to share this text with them--perhaps when teaching and modeling text-to-self connections or small moment writing.

Another book that cracked me up was Wolfie the Bunny. Maybe I'm biased because of my dog Wolfie, but it is such a sweet story. Anyone who has experience with new babies (or pet training!) can relate to the book.


I got a bit sentimental when I saw the book Let There Be Peace On Earth. Before I moved to California, all the teachers at the school where I taught in PA would sing this at the end of the winter concert. The song sends a beautiful message that everyone can do something to help make the world a better, safer, happier place. Due to the tragic events that have occurred recently, the feeling of wanting to create peace couldn't ring more true to me right now.

Once everyone had checked out (I totally went over my budget but I don't even care! I swear I need all these books!), the other teachers and I grabbed lunch and chatted about the school year, plans for next year, etc. It was so lovely to connect with fellow educators and learn more about selling on TpT and teaching in California.

Courtney had a fun grab-bag for us, and I won a great gift bag that had some TpT freebies from Laugh Eat LearnHello Literacy and Teaching With A Mountain View. The gift bag also had some super cute Fly-Guy inflatables, Diary of a Wimpy Kid pencils, and a copy of the book Grab Your Crown.



To end the lunch, Courtney had these adorable cookies made. Almost too cute to eat!


I had such a wonderful time bonding with fellow teachers over amazing books. I can't wait to introduce my students to all the great texts I picked up at the sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© City Teacher Country Teacher. Powered by